Saturday, January 28, 2006

No Help at All

When working with ADO.NET, I have fantasies. One of my favorites is an encounter between William Gates and the Washington State Police:

Gates: Hi, officer, what's the problem?

Officer: May I see your licence and registration please, sir?

Gates: Yes, here they are.

Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?

Gates: Well, no, really, I might have been going a little fast.

Officer: We'll get to that.

(pause)

Officer: Mr. Gates, I'm going to cite you for the following: Failed to meet all legal requirements. One or more of the subsystems of your automobile violated one or more of the laws of the State of Washington. For more information, see the Washington State Vehicle Code.

Gates: But what's wrong with my car?

Officer: Please refer to the Washington State Statutes for further information. You'll be talking to the judge about the details. Have a nice day, sir.

This is what Mr. Gates told me about my error:

"Failed to enable constraints. One or more rows contain values violating non-null, unique, or foreign-key constraints."

As far as I can see, all constraints are being met, so this is the error message I would prefer:

"Failed to enable constraint Parent_Child. The child row has a foreign key of 1012, but no row in the parent table has a primary key of 1012."

I fantasize about Bill Gates pacing around his car trying to decide if a tail light is out or there's a crack in his windshield or maybe the muffler is a little loud. But he can't quite tell because none of them seems to be out of limits. And maybe it's none of those things. He has to get a copy of the vehicle code and read it from cover to cover to figure out why he got a ticket. Seat belt? Tire pressure? Damn, that cop could have given him a hint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home